Wide Area Networks is a simply a term to describe how you connect to the Internet, the simplicity stops there!
The plethora of way and means of connecting to the Internet are only limited by your budget (and sometimes geography) so choosing the right internet connection solution for your business requires knowledge and expertise.
You can choose from mobile technology solutions such as 3G and 4G or fixed line solutions such as ADSL, SDSL, EFM, MPLS, Leased Lines – Copper or Fibre from 2-1000megs to name the most common solutions.
Sherr Technologies have delivered various different WAN solutions within the UK and Europe, and each country has unique idiosyncrasies and challenges when it comes to delivering telecoms and internet connections, so when considering connecting your business to the Internet a technical understanding of your technology needs is fundamental as well as availability and cost being important factors.
Internet connections can easily become overloaded and harm productivity if not managed correctly. Sherr Technologies 24×7 monitoring platform includes tools to measure bandwidth usage, identify users who are abusing the internet connection and provide reports on uptime and usage. This allows us to help identify the bottlenecks in your internet connection before they occur and configure your routers with traffic management policies which will control the flow of traffic and ensure business critical data is given priority over casual internet browsing.
Another important factor is the time to install your internet connection of choice, so if you’re opening a new site, and require a new internet connection it is always important to consider the time it will take the local telecoms provider to install and these times can vary wildly, so build it into your plans from the beginning to avoid a lack of internet from delaying your new venture.
To give you a brief synopsis of the common wide area network options available
- ADSL (Asymmetric DSL) – Standard broadband, faster download than upload, shared with upto 50 users, currently upto 100megs in the UK if delivered on fibre to cabinet
- SDSL (Symmetric DSL) – Same speed in both directions, usually dedicated for you, currently upto 2megs in the UK
- EFM (Ethernet First Mile) – Pretty much a re-branded SDSL product, again symmetric and uncontended like SDSL, which can be bonded to provide upto 20 megs
- Leased Lines – delivered over copper (upto 10megs) or fibre (upto 1000megs), symmetric and uncontended, ultra fast, but comes at a price, especially large if it has to be installed some distance from the exchange
- 3G/4G – mobile broadband, delivered across the mobile telephone network, speeds currently 14meg-84megs achievable
This list is not exhaustive, it is illustrative. We can help you analyse the options and choose the right solution, and work with the chosen delivery partner to get the internet connection you need, where you need it.
Your network may also require resiliency or load balancing Sherr Technologies can deliver this solution for you. Should you require bonded and load balanced ADSL, ADSL & SDSL bonding, ADSL backup to your leased line, 3G backup to your ADSL connection, or any variation in-between we can help design and deliver the right solutions, generally based on Cisco hardware and the technical skills to install and deliver your internet connection, where you need it.
If you need internet connenctions Sherr Technologies can provide this through many of our partner providers for one site or many, or should you require a more complicated or resilient network setup, please contact us