So what is ‘Cloud’?
In simple terms ‘Cloud’ is a service or set of services hosted from a central location to its users.
In the old days (1970-80s) mainframes ruled the world and PCs were just a dream. A mainframe was a massive computer which did all the processing and users connected to it with ‘dumb’ terminals. Dumb in that they didn’t do any processing but just acted as a window to what was happening in the mainframe.
There were many advantages to this arrangement
- data was held centrally and backed up centrally
- control – a new program could be installed and become instantly available to all users
- security – was concentrated in one place
- environment – expensive equipment was housed in a data centre, if a terminal was lost, no chance of data loss
In the IT world nothing stands still and technology just keeps getting better and cheaper. As PCs emerged their good value and flexibitlity saw off the big expensive mainframe which became replaced with a ‘giant PC’ (called a server) or PCs. This was called the client (PCs) server (giant PC) pardigm.
Whilst this brought advantages to the user it also introduced many huge risks
- Data could be easily transferred away from the safe environment and lost or stolen
- Users can install all sorts of software on PC’s some of which can seriously harm the PC leading to data loss
- With data spread across numerous locations it becomes more complicated to control access
- PC’s consume 90% more energy than dumb terminals and generally perform at 10% of their full capacity
- Updating of PC’s can be time consuming and complex, different versions of software creates issues
It is now possible to enjoy the best of both worlds, the equivalent of centrally controlled mainframe as well as flexible local personal computers. Our local PC doesn’t have to be that powerful, the serious number crunching or data storage is done on a machine suited to that role, all the local PC does is tell us what’s happening.
So what is ‘Virtuoso’?
In a nutshell, Virtuoso gives you all the advantages of the mainframe with all the advantages of PC. Sherr Technologies have conceived, created and deliver this superior and cutting edge cloud platform.
Any organisation is now able to seamlessly transfer its entire IT infrastructure including existing software, data and information to Virtuoso Cloud
Virtuoso is designed to appear as if the software is running on your local PC when the software is running from our datacentre, along with your crucial data is also safely stored. You can access your data and software from anywhere on PC, Mac or tablet making it ideal for mobile individuals to large multi-site organisations wanting to simplify their environment.
For our clients the future is the present.
So how will Virtuoso help me?
Virtuoso lets you use your favourite applications and your bespoke applications on powerful remote servers located in secure data centres, if you like, you own personal mainframe. Your PC, Mac or tablet then simply acts as a window to your personal mainframe.
Data and programs are held and run centrally on dedicated servers in a secure, clean, environmentally controlled data centres, with Virtuoso its not just the common programs which are run from the data centres, we will work with the authors of your other business software to migrate them to the cloud too. Usually this is quite straight forward and can be done quickly.
Virtuoso Connect client gives you control of who has access to what applications in your environment, deploying new software is simple and quick.
- Access to software and data is restricted to those who need it
- Backups are managed automatically, so no local backups required
- The central hardware is run by Sherr Technologies, no expensive upgrades needed
- Latest versions of Microsoft software are always available
- Rapid re-deployment – A failed PC can be replaced quickly with minimal disruption
- Client access controlled and monitored with Virtuoso Connect
Virtuoso customers enjoy these benefits
- longer times before upgrading user PCs
- Users can bring use their own devices to work with Virtuoso
- Centrally stored data and programs, available for only those who need them
- The latest Microsoft Software is available for all users
- Bring your own business software straight to Virtuoso, easy integration
- Billing on monthly user counts, so rent what you need, when you need
- Fixed controllable costs, no capital expenditure on servers and storage
- Safe data storage, controlled access means reduced risk of data being lost or stolen
- Upgrades and new software can be deployed in minutes, wherever your users are
- Simplified system means lower IT support costs
- Reduced environmental impact, a full migration can reduce CO2 emissions by upto 90%
- Flexible and easy to use IT environment, ready to grow when you are
Virtuoso is available in various options, this includes an on-premesis option where Internet connectivity or the number of users dictates. This ‘in-a-box’ solution is installed, monitored and maintained by us, with the data and applications continuously synchronised to the Virtuoso core, giving all permitted external users secure access.
Benefits over other Cloud solutions
- Full versions of software, not web based
- 40% more efficient than hosted desktop solutions
- More seamless to the user, minimal retraining necessary
- True application integration, see below
| ||Virtuoso||Google Apps||Office 365|
|Access full version of Microsoft Office from any device, anywhere||✓||✗||✗|
|Integrate your software directly to Microsoft Office on the cloud||✓||✗||✗|
|Run your accounts package on the cloud||✓||✗||✗|
|Integrate with other online storage solutions||✓||✗||✗|
|Discounted rates for Charity and Education sectors||✓||✓||✗|
|UK based datacentres & protected by UK/EU data protection laws||✓||✗||✗|
We will shortly be launching a site specifically for Virtuoso at www.virtuosocloud.com which will provide more information, if in the meantime you are interested in Virtuoso, then please contact us